Tuesday, October 25, 2011

So I Was Thinking

This entry isn't about my project. You see, yesterday I was facebook stalking my friend, and I found a link on her wall that another friend posted for a song called "Science and Faith" by The Script. I followed it and I wasn't expecting much, but I LOVE THIS SONG!!! Actually, I just love the band in general, the sound really appeals to me, but its even cooler. As the name implies it's about this guy and his girlfriend discussing the nature of love and science.
The thing I liked best here was that as its been stuck in my head all day, and since I read this article about science and faith, I keep thinking about the "false dichotomy" (thank you The Missing for the term) that this time period has set up between the two. Eventually it will work out. Most people don't have a problem with one or the other, just in an action. People who want to believe in only science don't like that faith puts limitations on what can ethically be done for the sake of experiment. People who don't like science are really just against how science keeps trying to push the exceptable boundaries.
I myself have an issue with the fact that science won't except that there are boundaries on what it can and should do. But I'm not against science. It's actually not uncommon for people to be not only a person of faith but also a person of science.
Example: Gregor Mendal- the father of genetics- also a Catholic priest
In gym as we were playing volleyball, it hit me- "one day will people look back a this time and see us the way that we see the dark ages?"
I think we like to believe that we are living in a time of light and understanding, much like that way that people looked at the world during the last few centuries (like between the -17 hundreds and say... the flight-phones-cars area) like they were living in an era of great advancement and knowledge, an era that they believed was approaching perfection. They were so proud of their times. Now I look back on it and admire the changes that were happening- but I see the flaws. Overall it just seems to me a time period that is strange and dark and wonderful.
In opposition I look back at the dark ages with a kind of sadness. They were learning as best they could, trying to be modern, but they didn't advance. I feel bad for them- for the fact that they thought they were so civilized- that they didn't see the things that were going wrong.
I'm sad to say that though a few generations may see this time period as an era of advancement, I think that many will think of us as a new dark ages, even with all our technology and science. They will se individual greatness, as we do, but in general they will see a century that amazingly were so wrong in trying to organize the world, a century steeped in human arrogance.
It's a bit unnerving to consider, but I don't think they'll see us as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment